BiggedyBong Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 21st, 2017, 3:44pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
BiggedyBong Forum ¥The Mark and Maconie general thread.¥

BiggedyBong Forum
   biggedybong
   The Mark Radcliffe Board
(Moderators: Chaddy, Erotic_Baubles)
   The Mark and Maconie general thread.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9  ...  22 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Mark and Maconie general thread.  (Read 128067 times)
Mike Bond
Biggedybong God

Limited edition

Re: The Mark and Maconie general thread.
« Reply #90 on: Oct 12th, 2007, 8:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Marc's very modest, but he is doing roughly the same thing as Peel did, and in a primetime slot but on a marginal station (which isn't particularly distinguished at other times of day).
IP Logged

senior moment
Celebrity Sheep
Biggedybong God

« Reply #91 on: Oct 12th, 2007, 6:55pm »

on Oct 11th, 2007, 3:30pm, littlemissmosher wrote:
another good point well put Smiley

see how polite and good-tempered we all are here just now Grin

Down with this sort of thing  Grin
IP Logged

I wandered, lonely
A-a-a-a-a-as a cloud
You pinched that off Wordsworth
Isn't that allowed?
Daisy
Biggedybong God

fecking feathers everywhere

Email

« Reply #92 on: Oct 12th, 2007, 11:54pm »

on Oct 12th, 2007, 6:55pm, Celebrity Sheep wrote:

Down with this sort of thing  Grin

Politeness and nicenessHuh?
Surely that's not what BB is aboutHuh

EB - editorial guidance please!!
IP Logged

Do you know, I think this tinterweb thing might catch on one day...
R_J
Biggedybong God

« Reply #93 on: Oct 17th, 2007, 2:21pm »

http://talk.radiotimes.com/thread.jspa?threadID=400000436

Quote:
When, back in March, Auntie announced that Mark Radcliffe would be joining forces with fellow BBC Radio 2 stalwart Stuart Maconie for the purposes of a new evening show, I was inconsolable. "Turncoats! Poltroons!" I roared, in the manner of a (marginally) less hirsute Captain Haddock, imagining a fate akin to that which befell Whizzer and Chips when it was forced, weeping, into an arranged marriage with fellow comic powerhouse Buster (ie a slow, agonising death).  

"Surely," I continued, raining tearful blows on my copy of the latest Radio Times, "anyone can see that the combination of such similar broadcasting styles will only dilute the award-winning presenters' considerable individual charms while depriving listeners of the vast and unalloyed weeknight joy that is the existing, solo Mark Radcliffe Show!"  

But I was wrong. How wrong? This wrong (throws open arms and grimaces to indicate a wrongness of humbling magnitude). Because the result of this enforced union, this putative Clash of the Broadcasting Titans, is, against all odds, a programme of seemingly effortless excellence.  

Indeed, just five months after they first found themselves peering at each other over a stack of pre-signed Ken Bruce publicity snaps, a couple of chewed biros and a teetering tower of unopened Michael Buble CDs, the Radcliffe-Maconie partnership already feels like an institution. A Sherbet Dip-Dab of fizzing wit and creamy nostalgia, it's as much a part of the Radio 2 furniture as Wogan's beloved breakfast bash or Sounds of the 70s.  

It's a sofa of literary snugness: a pouffe of eloquent glee. Their styles - earthy yet sensitive northerner with punk leanings, and earthy yet sensitive northerner with prog leanings, respectively - are complementary to the point that it's increasingly difficult to tell them apart.  

Monday's studio guest - itsy-bitsy Virginian singer/songwriter Devon Sproule - spoke for the nation when, in response to a question pertaining to the correct pronunciation of her surname ("sprawl", as it happens), she drawled, "I can't tell which one of y'all said that."  

Their easy banter is so un-self-conscious, so pass-the-butter-mother comfortable, they sound like a married couple, albeit a married couple that doesn't touch one another's bottom, obviously, and spends its evenings discussing the thematic intricacies of Van der Graaf Generator records as opposed to, say, skirting boards.

In the duo's quest to retrieve every last lump of joy from the mineshaft of rock history, Monday's show saw the introduction of a new feature, wherein they impart their favourite music-based anecdotes. So we heard about the time Ozzy Osbourne yanked down rotund Black Sabbath drummer Bill Ward's eezy-fit jogging bottoms during a stadium gig ("e didn't moind," said Ozzy, apparently, "e's gorra big old schlong 'as Bill"), and about the time Supertramp stuffed tiny support act Chris de Burgh into a laundry basket as punishment for the Irishman's infuriating penchant for charging back on stage immediately after his set.

Best of all, however, is the duo's passion for words. Hence, Supertramp were described by Maconie (or was it Radcliffe?) as "hirsute counter-tenors of cheesecloth smock-rock," while Radcliffe (or was it Maconie?), upon learning a caller was from Shipley, sighed, "ah, Eldorado…" and, incredibly, managed not to sound like a prize plum in a village fete for condescending DJs.  

Arise, Sirs Radcliffe and Maconie, gallant knights of a new dawn in unexpectedly brilliant broadcasting.

Mark Radcliffe and Stuart Maconie are on BBC Radio 2, Monday-Thursday at 8:00pm.

Posted by SarahDempster-RT Wed 26 September 2007, 1:59pm  
IP Logged
Jocksy S
Biggedybong God

"Today, I saw an apple in my head"

« Reply #94 on: Oct 17th, 2007, 2:30pm »

With that fantastic description, I urge you, Erotic Baubles, to close this debate.
IP Logged

Save the house sparrow.
Celebrity Sheep
Biggedybong God

« Reply #95 on: Oct 18th, 2007, 7:44pm »

That sounds like a great show. When's it on?
IP Logged

I wandered, lonely
A-a-a-a-a-as a cloud
You pinched that off Wordsworth
Isn't that allowed?
Erotic_Baubles
Admin

Will trade Fifa coins for food.

« Reply #96 on: Oct 20th, 2007, 2:56am »

Hahahahaha.

It starts so well.

Quote:
"Surely," I continued, raining tearful blows on my copy of the latest Radio Times, "anyone can see that the combination of such similar broadcasting styles will only dilute the award-winning presenters' considerable individual charms while depriving listeners of the vast and unalloyed weeknight joy that is the existing, solo Mark Radcliffe Show!"

All that!

Quote:
just five months after they first found themselves peering at each other ... the Radcliffe-Maconie partnership already feels like an institution
that they positively race to abandon at times.

Quote:
A Sherbet Dip-Dab of fizzing wit and creamy nostalgia
and copious factoids from the books they have lying around.

Plus
Quote:
a sofa of literary snugness
that on occasion becomes a sofa of literary smugness.

I can understand Devon Sprawl struggling as they mumble, interrupt each other and talk in an excitable chatter at times. But do any of us struggle to tell them apart?  

Their penchant for parroting rock lore can get tiresome at times. My rose tinted ear trumpet has convinced me the Mark Radcliffe Show used to be about the music and the guests. Mark and Maconie feels more about the presenters.

It's weird though. We ardent followers of The Mark Radcliffe Show, for the most part, appear to be unimpressed by this "unexpectedly brilliant broadcasting". For me, the shows they do alone are usually more palatable then the ones they do together.
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2007, 3:31am by Erotic_Baubles » IP Logged
R_J
Biggedybong God

« Reply #97 on: Oct 20th, 2007, 8:46am »

on Oct 20th, 2007, 2:56am, Erotic_Baubles wrote:

I can understand Devon Sprawl struggling as they mumble, interrupt each other and talk in an excitable chatter at times. But do any of us struggle to tell them apart?  

No, I don't,  If she was a listener to Mark and then Stuart joined you would think that she could tell them apart.
IP Logged
Mike Bond
Biggedybong God

Limited edition

« Reply #98 on: Oct 20th, 2007, 12:45pm »

on Oct 20th, 2007, 2:56am, Erotic_Baubles wrote:
a sofa of literary smugness

I remember in the first week it was a wing-backed armchair...
IP Logged

senior moment
Daisy
Biggedybong God

Email

« Reply #99 on: Oct 20th, 2007, 1:13pm »

on Oct 20th, 2007, 12:45pm, Solarman wrote:

I remember in the first week it was a wing-backed armchair...

I think you'll find that Stuart had a stripy deck-chair 'on loan' from Wigan Pier Wink
IP Logged

Velcro-Incident
Biggedybong Newbie

If you really mean it, it all comes round again...

« Reply #100 on: Oct 20th, 2007, 10:17pm »

"...as much a part of the Radio 2 furniture as Wogan's beloved breakfast bash or Sounds of the 70s."

MY arse!!!!!
It'll be dead by Spring 2008.

Wogan is a legend. Neither of these chancers have got the guts to stand up for what they believe in.

I believe I'm finished here.
IP Logged

A holiday, a holiday the first one of the year...
Mike Bond
Biggedybong God

Limited edition

« Reply #101 on: Oct 20th, 2007, 10:36pm »

on Oct 20th, 2007, 10:17pm, Velcro-Incident wrote:
chancers

Steady on, old fellow...

Whilst one is tempted to concur with your assessment of the likely longevity or otherwise of the current offering, and its paucity in the face of the towering behemoth of achievement that is Wake Up To Wogan, nevertheless Doze Off To Wigan (Or Bolton) is but a stepping-stone in two illustrious and hitherto markedly different careers, presently hovering between greatness and... who knows.

[/and it was all a dream]
IP Logged

senior moment
R_J
Biggedybong God

« Reply #102 on: Oct 21st, 2007, 11:59am »

"Mon 29 Oct
Simon Armitage guests"
IP Logged
Daisy
Biggedybong God

Email

« Reply #103 on: Oct 21st, 2007, 12:33pm »

Doze off to Wigan (or Bolton)  Grin Grin

Velcro - follow the flock to FB - a place of temporary insanity in a sane world  Wink
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2007, 12:34pm by Daisy » IP Logged

Velcro-Incident
Biggedybong Newbie

If you really mean it, it all comes round again...

« Reply #104 on: Oct 21st, 2007, 3:28pm »

on Oct 20th, 2007, 10:36pm, Solarman wrote:

Steady on, old fellow...

Whilst one is tempted to concur with your assessment of the likely longevity or otherwise of the current offering, and its paucity in the face of the towering behemoth of achievement that is Wake Up To Wogan, nevertheless Doze Off To Wigan (Or Bolton) is but a stepping-stone in two illustrious and hitherto markedly different careers, presently hovering between greatness and... who knows.

[/and it was all a dream]

I was having an extremely grumpy day Solarman. Appreciate you well tempered reply.  

Daisy - I don't understand FaceBook at all!!!!!
 Smiley
IP Logged

A holiday, a holiday the first one of the year...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9  ...  22 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

BiggedyBong Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.