BiggedyBong Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 23rd, 2017, 4:19pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
BiggedyBong Forum ¥random craic.¥

BiggedyBong Forum
   biggedybong
   General Chat
(Moderators: Erotic_Baubles, Chaddy)
   random craic.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41  ...  97 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: random craic.  (Read 193337 times)
mystic
Biggedybong God

the pic's a clue !

Re: random craic.
« Reply #570 on: Apr 5th, 2007, 12:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

i love the way its 2moro as i write this! someone send me the lottery results  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

its good to be back ! no where is my seat ?
Mike Bond
Biggedybong God

Limited edition

« Reply #571 on: Apr 5th, 2007, 8:38am »

Lottery numbers are at the bottom of the screen for you, and are 1, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39.
IP Logged

senior moment
Louise Mitchell
Biggedybong God

74+Belmont+Road

« Reply #572 on: Apr 5th, 2007, 5:14pm »

on Apr 4th, 2007, 9:19pm, helen wrote:

ah so youve had a prick in your mouth Grin Tongue

Tongue

hope your laughing lou didnt mean to be sooo rude.

Grin Grin part 2 were worse, i dont think he got QUITE all the nerves out first go and i didnt get a jab this time!!! fine two hours later though, been chomping toffees, muesli, apples galore all pain-free for first time in ages Grin
IP Logged

one of the Five
Louise Mitchell
Biggedybong God

74+Belmont+Road

« Reply #573 on: Apr 6th, 2007, 9:51am »

the cat me and mum share joint custody of just brought in a freshly deceased bunny rabbit for me, not my idea of an easter bunny gift n really not something i should have to deal with at such an early hour, put me right off my toasted banana and aero sticky toffee toastie!
IP Logged

one of the Five
mystic
Biggedybong God

the pic's a clue !

« Reply #574 on: Apr 6th, 2007, 12:14pm »

i got this from tony blair yesterday.......

Bob Paisley's achievements in football were remarkable. It is easy to see why so many people want to see his record formally recognised.

This has been underlined by the thousands of people who have signed the e-petition on the No 10 website calling for him to be granted a posthumous knighthood.

But this is simply not possible. A knighthood is an honour only given during someone's lifetime. Unlike bravery awards and medals, they have never been granted posthumously.

Formally, this is because the recipients of knighthoods are admitted into a particular Order when they attend an Investiture ceremony in person.

In practical terms, however, it would also be impossible to decide which of thousands of figures in our country's history, who were not knighted during their lifetimes, should retrospectively deserve such recognition.

For example, there are already similar e-petition campaigns for posthumous knighthoods for football managers Bill Shankley, Brian Clough, Jock Stein and Bill Nicholson.

But strong cases could also be made for many other high-achieving sports figures as well as authors, scientists and others who were not knighted during their lifetimes. Charles Darwin, Captain Cook, RJ Mitchell, who created the Spitfire, John Lennon and even William Shakespeare are just a few of those who were not honoured in this way while they lived.

The fact they were not knighted, however, does not in any way detract from the contribution they made to this country. Their lives and achievements have each been celebrated and remembered in many other ways. But a knighthood is, however, not possible for someone, no matter how accomplished, who is no longer able to receive it.

Yours sincerely,  
Tony Blair

what an arse!!
IP Logged

mystic
Biggedybong God

the pic's a clue !

« Reply #575 on: Apr 6th, 2007, 12:16pm »

well this is my last trans-atlantic post before i travel back to ireland.......this is mystic sighning off....07.15 am (about 11am there)  

im going to be so jet laged.....leave jfk at 5pm and land in dub at 9am sat morning  Cry Cry
IP Logged

Mike Bond
Biggedybong God

Limited edition

« Reply #576 on: Apr 6th, 2007, 7:49pm »

What's so  Cry about Dublin you spoilt person? All things are relative. Compared to where we are now, I suppose many of us would like to be in Dublin.
IP Logged

senior moment
Celebrity Sheep
Biggedybong God

« Reply #577 on: Apr 6th, 2007, 9:05pm »

on Apr 6th, 2007, 12:14pm, mystic wrote:
i got this from tony blair yesterday.......

Bob Paisley's achievements in football were remarkable. It is easy to see why so many people want to see his record formally recognised.

This has been underlined by the thousands of people who have signed the e-petition on the No 10 website calling for him to be granted a posthumous knighthood.

But this is simply not possible. A knighthood is an honour only given during someone's lifetime. Unlike bravery awards and medals, they have never been granted posthumously.

Formally, this is because the recipients of knighthoods are admitted into a particular Order when they attend an Investiture ceremony in person.

In practical terms, however, it would also be impossible to decide which of thousands of figures in our country's history, who were not knighted during their lifetimes, should retrospectively deserve such recognition.

For example, there are already similar e-petition campaigns for posthumous knighthoods for football managers Bill Shankley, Brian Clough, Jock Stein and Bill Nicholson.

But strong cases could also be made for many other high-achieving sports figures as well as authors, scientists and others who were not knighted during their lifetimes. Charles Darwin, Captain Cook, RJ Mitchell, who created the Spitfire, John Lennon and even William Shakespeare are just a few of those who were not honoured in this way while they lived.

The fact they were not knighted, however, does not in any way detract from the contribution they made to this country. Their lives and achievements have each been celebrated and remembered in many other ways. But a knighthood is, however, not possible for someone, no matter how accomplished, who is no longer able to receive it.

Yours sincerely,  
Tony Blair

what an arse!!

It's OK to give a knighthood to Elton John, Sean Connery, Tom Jones, etc., but not to people who have really achieved something. There were also calls for Johnny Wilkinson to be knighted because of one kick of the ball, and I'm sure the celebrity-obsessed git would have done it had people not said "he's too young".  

Both Stein and Shankley were not considered good enough to be knighted (they came from Lanarkshire mining villages, after all), which I think is a disgrace (though I actually think the whole idea of honours is so outdated it should have gone in the days of Shakespeare). I presume that Matt Busby (similar background to Shankley and Stein) was knighted because he was the manager of the 1968 team as well as the one involved in the Munich air crash? At least I hope that's the reason, as Jock Stein's achievements up to the 1967 European cup win were more than worthy of a higher honour than the CBE he eventually received. I'm sure that, if Alf Ramsay had been a club manager instead of the England coach, he'd not have been able to claim that his team won every competition they entered in season 66-67. However, like Bliar, Wilson was a celebrity-obsessed t**t, and would gain a great deal more kudos from honouring the England coach than the manager of a provincial club like Liverpool, never mind that of a Scottish team. Like I say, I presume Busby was knighted for the sympathy factor. Stein should have been honoured in the same way at the same time.

I found this bit hilarious: "Charles Darwin, Captain Cook, RJ Mitchell, who created the Spitfire, John Lennon and even William Shakespeare...". Perhaps an historian could tell me the relationshop between Bill Shakespeare and the monarch of the day (Elizabeth I?) and could tell me about RJ Mitchell's background (e.g., was he a grammar school boy or a public schoolboy, and was he well in with the upper echelons of government and society or just an engineer with dirty hands?). As for John Lennon, he was hated by the establishment for his anti-war stance and didn't exactly endear himself to anyone when he handed back his MBE!

Bliar is talking  s**t, but, sadly, those kinds of honours are not awarded posthumously. I mean, how can they give big bribes to Labour if they are dead.

Bob Paisley, RIP. He truly was a great man.

Sorry, missed a bit. I don't know what Bill Nicholson achieved. Any Spurs fans about who can enlighten me?

« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2007, 9:07pm by Celebrity Sheep » IP Logged

I wandered, lonely
A-a-a-a-a-as a cloud
You pinched that off Wordsworth
Isn't that allowed?
Mike Bond
Biggedybong God

Limited edition

« Reply #578 on: Apr 6th, 2007, 10:11pm »

on Apr 6th, 2007, 9:05pm, Celebrity Sheep wrote:
I mean, how can they give big bribes to Labour if they are dead.

What's happening about the cash for honours police investigation? I thought they were going to 'fess up late Feb / early March. Perhaps Bliar has bribed them to keep schtum until he's stepped down.
IP Logged

senior moment
Jocksy S
Biggedybong God

"Today, I saw an apple in my head"

« Reply #579 on: Apr 6th, 2007, 10:43pm »

I just don't agree elevating people above others by giving them knighthoods and honours.  

And dead people don't have the chance to reject them.

I thought the recent actions of Jim Devine MP in trying to get Jock Stein a knighthood was a shallow ploy to win votes. However, I think Jim Devine is alright, he seems to speak out for his principles often, unlike the nameless, faceless, silent bloke that represents my constituency.
IP Logged

Save the house sparrow.
Neil_B
Biggedybong Senior Member

WWW Email

« Reply #580 on: Apr 6th, 2007, 10:52pm »

on Apr 6th, 2007, 10:43pm, Jocksy S wrote:
I just don't agree elevating people above others by giving them knighthoods and honours.  

And dead people don't have the chance to reject them.

I thought the recent actions of Jim Devine MP in trying to get Jock Stein a knighthood was a shallow ploy to win votes. However, I think Jim Devine is alright, he seems to speak out for his principles often, unlike the nameless, faceless, silent bloke that represents my constituency.

Any relation to Sidney Devine who did "Scotland Forever"  Huh
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2007, 10:53pm by Neil_B » IP Logged

http://s6.invisionfree.com/popscene
mystic
Biggedybong God

the pic's a clue !

« Reply #581 on: Apr 9th, 2007, 2:34pm »

raf.....got your message listening online now Grin
IP Logged

raf
Biggedybong God

would you like to beat my big CLOCK?

« Reply #582 on: Apr 10th, 2007, 7:40pm »

fandabbydozy
IP Logged
TheBunny
Biggedybong God

"...living in the common-sense world of radio."

« Reply #583 on: Apr 10th, 2007, 10:12pm »

Voxpop in today's news, in a piece about access to the sex offenders register;

"We should be told about these paedeophiles."

I rewound it to double check that's what she said.
IP Logged

Radio 2 makes me wanna smoke crack.
Vegi
Biggedybong God

BBng Birthday.  8/12/05.

« Reply #584 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 2:25am »

Isnt it coming up to the Anniversary of the big BBng Crash. Roll Eyes Perhaps DC or Raf will know, as they were present on that Momentous occasion. Grin

IP Logged

Back from the BBNG Dead, for good,so look out
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41  ...  97 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

BiggedyBong Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.