BiggedyBong Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 23rd, 2017, 4:07pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
BiggedyBong Forum ¥The Mark and Maconie general thread.¥

BiggedyBong Forum
   biggedybong
   The Mark Radcliffe Board
(Moderators: Chaddy, Erotic_Baubles)
   The Mark and Maconie general thread.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14  ...  22 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Mark and Maconie general thread.  (Read 127320 times)
Louise Mitchell
Biggedybong God

74+Belmont+Road

Re: The Mark and Maconie general thread.
« Reply #165 on: Dec 21st, 2007, 9:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Dec 20th, 2007, 7:00pm, Daisy wrote:
He's welcome here for Christmas - but I think LMM might appreciate him more  Wink

he's a married man daisy! as if i would Roll Eyes
IP Logged

one of the Five
Daisy
Biggedybong God

fecking feathers everywhere

Email

« Reply #166 on: Dec 21st, 2007, 11:50am »

on Dec 21st, 2007, 9:06am, littlemissmosher wrote:

he's a married man daisy! as if i would Roll Eyes

Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Do you know, I think this tinterweb thing might catch on one day...
Celebrity Sheep
Biggedybong God

« Reply #167 on: Dec 21st, 2007, 9:46pm »

on Dec 20th, 2007, 8:41am, Solarman wrote:
Being better than The Organist Entertains is not in itself a compelling reason to listen. Especially when Marc is still churning out don't-miss radio next door.

Nowt wrong with the 'Organist Entertains', though I prefer church organs, myself.

Anyway, this still doesn't help me. Does anyone know what drugs I can take to get me through the show when British Sea Power are on?
IP Logged

I wandered, lonely
A-a-a-a-a-as a cloud
You pinched that off Wordsworth
Isn't that allowed?
Erotic_Baubles
Admin

Will trade Fifa coins for food.

« Reply #168 on: Dec 25th, 2007, 2:32am »

Thanks for posting the article R_J.

The interview is as contentious as the show itself! There are bits worth persevering with in Mark and Maconie - they can make me laugh, some of the music is good and some of the guests and live sessions have been enjoyable as well. It just doesn't feels as consistent as the old Mark Radcliffe show for me.

The article points out the novelty of presenters actually discussing the music they play - it's unusual for Radio 2, but not for radio in general. 6Music certainly spends ages talking about music. It eats, sleeps and breaths it. I'm sure there are plenty of other stations with knowledgeable people at the helm imparting that data to the eager listener.
IP Logged
Daisy
Biggedybong God

fecking feathers everywhere

Email

« Reply #169 on: Dec 25th, 2007, 10:59pm »

Well said Erotic - some mark is better than no mark - but, oh how we all wish it was as it used to be... Cry
IP Logged

Do you know, I think this tinterweb thing might catch on one day...
ip33
Biggedybong Full Member

« Reply #170 on: Dec 26th, 2007, 6:27pm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/musictv/popontrial/

Yes I know it's on the idiot box but it is presented by the ever  
popular Stuart Maconie!

Ian
IP Logged
ip33
Biggedybong Full Member

« Reply #171 on: Dec 26th, 2007, 6:38pm »

on Dec 25th, 2007, 2:32am, Erotic_Baubles wrote:

The article points out the novelty of presenters actually discussing the music they play - it's unusual for Radio 2, but not for radio in general. 6Music certainly spends ages talking about music. It eats, sleeps and breaths it. I'm sure there are plenty of other stations with knowledgeable people at the helm imparting that data to the eager listener.

I've got to disagree. Where are the music stations willing to treat the audience with any intelligence? 6Music seems to want to alienate most of it's original listeners with only a few shows still worth the licence fee (Riley, Gid, TR and of course The Freak Zone). Since Peel went Radio1 has badly lost it's way. Advert Radio (sic) doesn't care, when you can only choose from 30 or 40 tracks, the music can't matter!

The only stations worth the effort are on the internet, perhaps that where MR may end up!

Ian
IP Logged
ip33
Biggedybong Full Member

« Reply #172 on: Jan 19th, 2008, 8:02pm »

Hope this in the right place!!!!!!!

Quote:
Stuart Maconie's passion for music of all forms puts other DJs to shame

Radcliffe and Maconie Radio 2

Stuart Maconie Radio 2

Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone 6 Music

Music radio has a surfeit of DJs who are, at best, uninterested in music. You wouldn't get very far in speech broadcasting if you weren't keen on - or, at least, benignly accepting of - the sound of your own voice, and yet acres of radio space is taken up with people who see their job as nothing more than creating "good links" between their station's 12-song playlist, which invariably contains music that sounds like Helen Shapiro being force-fed Chewits. (This, apparently, is more commonly known as "Amy Winehouse".)

Commercial DJs are the worst culprits, though things brighten up considerably on National Express journeys when the driver puts on Heart FM and you hear the Scissor Sisters three times in two hours. None can compare with the music-devouring enthusiasm of Stuart Maconie, surely the BBC's hardest-working man, who, with Mark Radcliffe, has transformed Radio 2's 8pm-10pm slot on Mondays to Thursdays into a showcase for tunes of quality and distinction.

Maconie is a man of many voices. Four nights a week, he's the softly spoken foil to Radcliffe, who at times becomes so shouty you have to turn the sound down. They bat Nick Hornby-level music trivia at each other without ever sounding as though they are flicking through laminated copies of Record Collector beneath the desk. Maconie is more of a pop and soul man, while Radcliffe is brainy art-rock all the way.

Their year-old partnership seemed wrong and superfluous to begin with, though the idea was theirs and not, as I feared, that of someone high up at Radio 2 thinking how "earthy" it would be to put two men from the north-west in a radio booth at the same time. Easily good enough as solo broadcasters, they can still make the show feel a little too much, as though one of them is vying - unconsciously or otherwise - with the other for the soul of the programme.

This may be Radcliffe's overbearing voice (which I never used to notice during his long Radio 1 partnership with Marc "Lard" Riley), or Maconie's comparative gentleness, but it matters little when they manage to get so much good new music heard by so many people. Maconie manages the same on his Saturday-afternoon show, also on Radio 2 (2pm-4.30pm), where he slips in at least one ear-prickingly unusual track for each overplayed chestnut.

Last Saturday's programme showcased, in his words, his coldy "all-new post-Christmas voice, arrived at by a strict diet of Bombay Sapphire and cheese footballs and two hours' sleep a night". He interviewed two ebullient Russian men about a forthcoming live event that will showcase their country's top pop acts, and which includes a singer called Bianca who mixes traditional Russian music with American R'n'B. It was a tease too far that he didn't then play any, but instead went straight to Radio 2 default with a combination of Genesis, Matt Monro ("the tiny former bus driver with the enormous voice") and Joss Stone.

Oh well. I would imagine that this is Maconie's most musically hamstrung show by far, though it could be that he's far less of a music snob than I am. The one show where he gets to delve deepest into his musical knowledge is his extraordinary Sunday-evening programme on 6 Music, the Freak Zone (5pm-8pm), which tests even its regular listeners - many of whom, it seems, email Maconie to complain that he went "too far" the previous week by playing 17-minute-long dub reggae epics at teatime - with its eclecticism.

Last Sunday's was a walk through HMV by comparison to previous shows. We got the German-language version of Kraftwerk's "Home Computer" - yay! He followed a long, elegiac piece of contemporary music by Morton Feldman with an irrepressible: "I love 'im! He's terrific!" You'd never hear anyone saying that on Radio 3.

In recent weeks, he has also played an instrumental track by Arcade called "Chelmsley Wood", one of only two songs ever to mention my east Birmingham homestead (the other being "Michael a Grammar" by the feted West Midlands electronic band Broadcast). No wonder I love him so.

This is exactly why Stuart is as good as he is!

Ian
IP Logged
Erotic_Baubles
Admin

« Reply #173 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 9:49pm »

"They bat Nick Hornby-level music trivia at each other without ever sounding as though they are flicking through laminated copies of Record Collector beneath the desk. "

They aren't! They use google these days. They do sometimes make the show sound thrown together when it isn't though, which is a craft not to be sniffed at.

"Easily good enough as solo broadcasters, they can still make the show feel a little too much, as though one of them is vying - unconsciously or otherwise - with the other for the soul of the programme. "

Nail. Hit. On. Head.

One thing that does get my goat a bit is the 'previously on' clips at the start. I'm guessing other Radio 2 shows play Radcliffe and Maconie trailers but it always sounds like a naff trailer the other shows refuse to play.
IP Logged
Mike Bond
Biggedybong God

Limited edition

« Reply #174 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 10:08pm »

on Jan 21st, 2008, 9:49pm, Erotic_Baubles wrote:
I'm guessing other Radio 2 shows play Radcliffe and Maconie trailers

Guessing because, like the rest of us, who listens to R2 at ANY other time?
IP Logged

senior moment
Erotic_Baubles
Admin

« Reply #175 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 10:57pm »

Hahaha. Depends whether Mark is filling in for Steve Wright.  Grin
IP Logged
Louise Mitchell
Biggedybong God

74+Belmont+Road

« Reply #176 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 9:48am »

that could become permanent if he gets convicted Grin
(sorry)
IP Logged

one of the Five
R_J
Biggedybong God

« Reply #177 on: Jan 26th, 2008, 9:51am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Stuart_Maconie&diff=prev&a mp;oldid=185835861

One persons point of view that was then removed from the Wikipedia page, there are a few more down the list that are worth reading too, if you click on older edits.

It's good to know I'm not the only one who thinks he's not that great.  

edit, I'm not sure about the use of 'erstwhile' though, erstwhile means 'former' doesn't it? .... I wish.
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2008, 9:57am by R_J » IP Logged
Erotic_Baubles
Admin

« Reply #178 on: Jan 26th, 2008, 1:43pm »

Alright, own up. Which one of us was this: Mark Radcliffe on Wikipedia.
IP Logged
Mike Bond
Biggedybong God

Limited edition

« Reply #179 on: Jan 26th, 2008, 3:35pm »

hmmmm, looks like the work of someone with a deep and unhealthy knowledge of the guy, and nothing else to do
IP Logged

senior moment
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14  ...  22 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

BiggedyBong Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.