BiggedyBong Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 21st, 2017, 6:45pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
BiggedyBong Forum ¥The Mark and Maconie general thread.¥

BiggedyBong Forum
   biggedybong
   The Mark Radcliffe Board
(Moderators: Chaddy, Erotic_Baubles)
   The Mark and Maconie general thread.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  22 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Mark and Maconie general thread.  (Read 127288 times)
Erotic_Baubles
Admin

Will trade Fifa coins for food.

The Mark and Maconie general thread.
« on: Sep 10th, 2007, 7:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Let's have a little experiment...

If we could make an effort to heap our general praise and general gripes in this thread for a while. What is the show doing right? Where is it going wrong? That sort of thing. I'm curious to learn what we all think and do it in a constructive manner. I'd also like to try to keep each weekly thread more focused on that week's content.

I'll get the ball rolling by saying the show sounded good on paper but is far too hit and miss for me. They may get on like a house on fire in private, but the chemistry doesn't translate to the airwaves according to my ears. Two decent presenters in an odd timeslot for both of them (I think, anyway). Not late enough for Mark and too late for Stuart.

One consistent comment about the Mark Radcliffe show concerned it's 90 minute running time. Not long enough. Mark and that night's guest would be barely getting going before it was time to chat to Janice Schlong who would let slip the answer to The Crucial Three.

I'd said in the week 21 thread that Mark and Stuart were two peas in a pod. Giving it a bit more though I'm not so sure now. Mark and Marc Riley obviously got each other's sense of humour. That is less evident with Mark and Maconie. It sounds a little forced at times. Stuart displays more deference to Mark then the other way around. This is possibly because it is Mark who drives the desk (or at least has been when I've checked the webcam). The set up is Mark with Stuart as sidekick by default, even though they are surely (and were meant to be) equals.

It's probably unfair to hark back to the days of Mark Radcliffe as much as I want to but I'm going to anyway. Mark's rolling squad of sidekicks worked, on the whole, quite nicely. A variety of experiences and opinions even if I couldn't stand some of them. Whereas with Mark and Stuart you have two consumate professionals who sometimes struggle to say something other then what the other one said 30 seconds ago.

Why? Anyone's guess is as good as mine. Perhaps the music plays a larger part then I realise too. The extra time over the Mark Radcliffe show gives live sessions more time, but they are interspersed with playlist rubbish and laboured competitions.

Is Mark and Maconie supposed to be a more mainstream radio show? Trying to bring together Mark Radcliffe fans and Stuart Maconie fans to get an inoffensive evening show with decent audience figures. With Mark Radcliffe previously being on so late it resulted in an audience that actively wanted to hear him and whomever else was there with him. Once the Big Band Special or Sounds of the Seventies was over, the airwaves were ours. Loud music, talk of shoes and Noddy Holder in dire need of a 'can you back off the mic?'.

Perhaps that I have so many questions marks the show down as not being for me. Whether that is 'not aimed at me' or just 'not my cup of tea' I'm not sure. Lesley Douglas must have had some kind of target audience, or at least an idea more extensive then the apparent 'they are funny in the pub lets put them on air' story. Telling, perhaps, that there has been no run of mugs to give away...  

I'll finish with a pointless football analogy. 11 great footballers don't neccessarily make for a great team.  

Alright, I'll not finish with that. There is no 'i' in team but there are two in 'Radcliffe and Maconie'.
IP Logged
Mike Bond
Biggedybong God

Limited edition

Re: The Mark and Maconie general thread.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10th, 2007, 8:11pm »

Make it sticky Erotic!

There's plenty of anecdotal material to back that up. Stuart tried hard to "get" the cowbell thing (which goes back to Graveyard, doesn't it?) but rang it once too often last week, and got told off.

"Laboured" and "inoffensive" are good words. And I agree that we actively wanted to hear the 10.30 show because it was hidden away.
IP Logged

senior moment
Celebrity Sheep
Biggedybong God

« Reply #2 on: Sep 10th, 2007, 8:14pm »

Could someone just find all my old posts and paste them into a new message?
IP Logged

I wandered, lonely
A-a-a-a-a-as a cloud
You pinched that off Wordsworth
Isn't that allowed?
Jocksy S
Biggedybong God

"Today, I saw an apple in my head"

« Reply #3 on: Sep 10th, 2007, 8:43pm »

They both lack the gumption to battle playlist clerk.
IP Logged

Save the house sparrow.
Daisy
Biggedybong God

fecking feathers everywhere

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10th, 2007, 10:17pm »

Just show me the playlist clerk - I'll battle him/her!
Something needs to be done - mainly I need to remove my lenses so I can actually see what I'm trying to type!
IP Logged

Do you know, I think this tinterweb thing might catch on one day...
Daisy
Biggedybong God

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 10th, 2007, 10:20pm »

There, that's better. So where were we?
IP Logged

Mike Bond
Biggedybong God

Limited edition

« Reply #6 on: Sep 11th, 2007, 8:39am »

It's only just hit me - we're never going to have St Julian Of Cope on the new show are we? Absolutely NO chance. It's far too middle-of-the-road, risk-averse Radio 11 for that.

"Let's play some New Music, shall we Stuart?" "Ooooh I don't know, are you sure?" "It's quite OK, it's by Travis." "Well, give it the 2 minutes before the news, we can pull it if it's too dangerous." Well it's not 2Music, is it? Closer to the fireside and slippers?
IP Logged

senior moment
Erotic_Baubles
Admin

Will trade Fifa coins for food.

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11th, 2007, 1:09pm »

on Sep 10th, 2007, 8:11pm, Solarman wrote:
Make it sticky Erotic!

Not before the watershed.

Quote:
There's plenty of anecdotal material to back that up. Stuart tried hard to "get" the cowbell thing (which goes back to Graveyard, doesn't it?) but rang it once too often last week, and got told off.

"Laboured" and "inoffensive" are good words. And I agree that we actively wanted to hear the 10.30 show because it was hidden away.

The current interest in cowbell might have something to do with this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_Cowbell

Never seen it myself and would be surprised if this was the inspiration for Mark and Stuart's current deployment of the aforementioned clanger.
IP Logged
Mike Bond
Biggedybong God

Limited edition

« Reply #8 on: Sep 11th, 2007, 1:24pm »

It's all coming round full circle for me... yesterday afternoon Liza was eating Manchega, which is the very cheese I was discussing with Mark when I was on the Crucial 3, the song I'd recognised that night being Don't Fear The Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult. I feel closure.
IP Logged

senior moment
ip33
Biggedybong Full Member

« Reply #9 on: Sep 11th, 2007, 2:57pm »

on Sep 11th, 2007, 8:39am, Solarman wrote:
It's only just hit me - we're never going to have St Julian Of Cope on the new show are we? Absolutely NO chance. It's far too middle-of-the-road, risk-averse Radio 11 for that.

"Let's play some New Music, shall we Stuart?" "Ooooh I don't know, are you sure?" "It's quite OK, it's by Travis." "Well, give it the 2 minutes before the news, we can pull it if it's too dangerous." Well it's not 2Music, is it? Closer to the fireside and slippers?

He was on The Freak Zone a couple of weeks ago promoting his new Album and Book. The Book, JapRockSampler is fantastic, written in his unique style. It is the perfect book if you are looking for a way into Japanese Music

Ian
IP Logged
ip33
Biggedybong Full Member

« Reply #10 on: Sep 17th, 2007, 4:58pm »

I think that Stuart showed again last week why he should make this show his own. A much more relaxed and assured performance.

And from what I heard Radcliffe took to afternoons like a duck to water again. Yes the music was crap but the chat was top notch.

Again I say 2-5 Radcliffe and 8-10 Maconie.

Ian
IP Logged
Daisy
Biggedybong God

Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 17th, 2007, 6:31pm »

This could be a first - i i i i tink i agree with Ian Shocked

But if Mark is to go 2-5 thrn he has to have some control over the musical content - or do we think he's happy to go with the flow so he can be in the pub for 6 o'clock?
IP Logged

Mike Bond
Biggedybong God

Limited edition

« Reply #12 on: Sep 17th, 2007, 6:42pm »

He would surely think twice about a career interviewing James Blunto and TV stars he's never heard of.
IP Logged

senior moment
Celebrity Sheep
Biggedybong God

« Reply #13 on: Sep 17th, 2007, 8:26pm »

on Sep 17th, 2007, 6:42pm, Solarman wrote:
He would surely think twice about a career interviewing James Blunto and TV stars he's never heard of.

He hasn't so far.
IP Logged

I wandered, lonely
A-a-a-a-a-as a cloud
You pinched that off Wordsworth
Isn't that allowed?
Mike Bond
Biggedybong God

Limited edition

« Reply #14 on: Sep 17th, 2007, 9:00pm »

A permanent fixture isn't the same as a week or two.

Stuart made some intelligent comments tonight about The Police playing out of tune, which Mark virtually ignored - he's got his own agenda, that one.
IP Logged

senior moment
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  22 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

BiggedyBong Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.